HSC Innovations recommends the excellent Research Contracts course offered by PraxisUnico. The programme will next run over 9-12 May 2011 in Cambridge.
The Research Contracts programme recognises that contractual arrangements for research activities can support or hinder research activities and that suitable contractual terms can facilitate commercialisation of emergent intellectual property and further collaborations.
According to PraxisUnico:
This course aims to help research contracts professionals to meet these challenges and to develop technical knowledge which will help them to confidently draft, interpret and amend contracts, whilst building strong relationships and consensus with their stakeholders.
Following attendance on the course, the delegates will be able to:
- Understand how the Research Contracts role fits in to the internal structure of the university [or NHS/HSC trust]. Key allies and internal networks.
- Effectively research the context of the contract, understand the key relationships, positions of stakeholders and what are minimum “acceptable terms” for the contract
- Understand and interpret key contract clauses and confidently assess how amended clauses will impact the deal
- Utilise model agreements where appropriate
- Manage the negotiations in a flexible and assertive manner
- Follow up the finalised contract to manage the implementation
PraxisUnico organises this 3-day course in partnership with the Association of Research Managers and Administrators.
Further information is available on the PraxisUnico website at: www.praxiscourses.org.uk/courses/course.asp?ItemID=181&coursetype=research_contracts. Potential delegates from research offices in the HSC trusts should contact Tim Cox in HSC Innovations for further advice.